The number of examples (and how you present them) is not as important as ensuring that the nominee’s contributions and achievements match the specific award criteria for that category and that there are measurable results. Here are some additional tips and tricks!
Address the award criteria, describing how your nominee excels in the category you have selected. Consider grouping your ideas under these criteria headings so you don’t miss any.
Be Clear & Specific
Don’t forget to discuss the ‘What’ AND the ‘How’
- WHAT did the nominee(s) do?
- Projects and/or activities that go above and beyond job descriptions
- Any challenges or issues encountered and overcome
- Any product launches, business pivots, or ground-breaking developments?
- HOW did the nominee(s) do it?
- Key Initiatives, Programs, and/or Leadership
- Creativity, Agility, and/or Innovation
- Behaviors and/or Attitudes
- WHAT were the results and/or impact?
- What did the nominee(s) accomplish?
- What are the key results that support your nomination?
- Are there specific benefits derived from those efforts?
Don't worry about crafting beautiful paragraphs, write short sentences that are concise and give specific detail. Provide information in a bulleted list, when possible. The goal is quality, not quantity!
Keep it Concise & Use Bullet Points
Solicit Input & Feedback from Your Tech Team(s)Consider a collaborative nomination – supporting statements from colleagues, team members, and leaders can help create a unique picture of your nominee and provide detailed examples that you don’t know about.
Anecdotes, insights, direct quotations from colleagues or tech staff, etc. all help strengthen your nomination.
Show that you personally value the contributions of your nominee(s).
Avoid JargonWhile you are familiar with your nominee’s work, more than likely the members of the selection committee won’t be. Keep that in mind as you describe the nature and quality of the contributions and accomplishments.
Submit for Multiple Awards & Keep RecognizingIf you submitted a Timmy Award nomination in the past, consider revising it and citing more recent, specific examples of contributions made over this year and resubmit. We’re happy to share past responses with your team, just ask!
Similarly, be sure to review all of our award categories (and locations!) and tailor your nomination to fit each one you’re eligible for.
Questions regarding the 2021 Timmy Awards process or how you can get involved? Contact us at Timmyawards@techinmotionevents.com. The Timmy Awards were created in 2014 by Tech in Motion, a North American event series that has connected local tech communities together to meet, learn, and innovate for almost a decade.